The lamentations of an architecture student, the joy of a christian, and the laughs of a guy who just likes life.



Surprises this week


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Currently listening to: "Every Move I Make" by Out of Eden

God has really been surprising me as of late. His whole "bigger picture" is a little aggravating to me, considering my inability to see it in its entirety. Something seemed so obvious to me. It was the first time I had thought it, but everyone else seemed to agree with my interpretation of the situation. I thought to myself, "this is how God plans to make me really happy. This is a great gift from Him." Then the seemingly impossible, something I knew was past the bounds of imagination, happened; this directly lead to the closing of that welcoming door to happiness. I've been in a bit of a depressed state over this, but I know that whyever it happened, it'll wind up all the better in the end. When God says "no," one really has to take His word for it: "this isn't what'll make you happy. I've got something better planned. Just wait."

Luckily, not all is gloom. He surprised me again this afternoon. While pinning up my drawings for a review, I noticed something different about my sheets. Specifically, the quantity. Everyone around me had six. I had four. Some of you may be able to relate to the situation, but I know that lots have no idea what this situation meant. Think coming to class to find your term paper was due. It's that feeling that you've made a huge mistake and there's nothing you can do to fix it. I sat down staring at the gap above my four sheets where everyone else had two more pages. Oxymoronic as it may sound, the gap stuck out. I tried to relax, taking several deep breaths, never taking my eyes off of that empty space. I thought to myself, "why? Do I have to suffer again? Is this the way my life will be from here on out?" Feeling disappointment happens often. One can get over it. But when it happens before you recover from the last incident, then you feel a huge wave of... I don't know. You feel bad. You feel abandoned.

Then I saw something out of the corner of my eye. I wasn't alone. There was one other student that had four pages. I felt a sudden surge of confidence. The one thing I need during review. My two years of architecture have gotten me plenty of unwanted, though not unneeded, practice in public speaking. In my experience, the one thing you need to be successful in it is a calm attitude that says "I know what I'm talking about." I thrive on that, and now I had it. I got up to present my pavilion. Things went somewhat blurry there, though I remember hearing things you don't normally get from architecture professors: compliments. I can't say they liked my project. By law, I don't think they're allowed to. But they didn't not like it. ^_^

And though this may seem to be a strange place to find a Biblical allegory, I found a way this related to Jesus. Just seeing that other set of four, I thought to myself, "that's like Jesus. He made Himself lower; He came down to our level." Jesus took down two of His pages so we wouldn't be alone. Hope that's a happy enough note to end on.


2 Responses to “Surprises this week”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    And that, young one, is a lesson we all learn at one time or another. I know exactly what you are feeling, and it sucks, but yeah... Sometimes God's plan isn't always very clear. Its all good though... You got friends that you can confide in (or savagely destory in Halo). There will be other chances, but here is a bit of advise for future situations like this... You will NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER know what they are thinking. Never.

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    I think it's a great great blessing from God that you are even able to look at a bad situation in a Godly light. There are sooooo many things that happen to us that we just shrug off as "bad luck" or "bad days" and we...I fail to realize that each and everything that happens, good or bad, I can learn from and give the glory to God. I also want to say that I think it's really great that God thought enough of you to challenge you that way. I can't help but think of Job. Just erase Job's name and put Eric in there. "Have you considered my servant Eric?" Yeah, good job there my friend. Just keep going and don't be afraid to let God lead. I know it's hard to not be able to see the full picture, but you know what the end is....HEAVEN!!! Enough said. Should you need to talk or whatever, don't hesitate to call me or email me. Cause I still love ya and even though I'm not there, I still can listen to you over the phone or read a note. Just keep the faith brother!!!!

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Eric
  • From Gallatin, TN
  • I'm a computer science major at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. I hang out at the Christian Student Center alot, and I like hanging out with friends.
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links

My friend's BlogsMy other Blogs